Parking fines in Georgia
This publication tells you about parking fines, what they are, how much they cost and what to do if you get one.
What parking offences result in fines in Georgia?
The main parking offences that result in fines in Georgia are as follows:
- Parking in an area where there are signs prohibiting parking. This may be a "No Parking" sign or a "No Parking" sign. The fine for such an offence is 10 GEL in Batumi and 50 GEL in Tbilisi. (possible evacuation)
- Parking on the pavement or sidewalk. The fine for such an offence is 10 GEL in Batumi and 50 GEL in Tbilisi. (possible evacuation)
- Parking at a public transport stop. The fine for such an offence is 100 GEL in Batumi and Tbilisi. (possible evacuation)
- Parking on a public transport lane. The fine for such an offence in Batumi and Tbilisi is 100 GEL. (possible evacuation)
- Parking without paying in a pay zone. There are paid parking zones in Batumi and Tbilisi, where you need to buy a parking ticket to park. The fine for parking without paying in a pay zone is GEL 10 in Batumi and GEL 50 in Tbilisi.
- Parking contrary to the rules laid down by road signs and markings. For example, parking at an angle to the road, parking at an intersection, etc. The fine for such an offence is 10 GEL in Batumi and 50 GEL in Tbilisi. (possible evacuation)
What can you get in Georgia if you do not pay a parking ticket?
If a driver fails to pay a parking fine within 30 days of the fine being issued, the following actions may be taken:
- Increase of the fine. In this case, the fine is doubled.
- Forced collection of the fine. In this case, the fine can be collected from the driver by the court or the enforcement service.
- Immobilisation of the vehicle. In this case, the automobile can be impounded and placed in a car park. In order for the car to be released, the driver must pay the fine and the cost of removing and storing the vehicle in the impound lot.
If you are a foreigner, the fine will remain fixed and increase, and when you return to the country you may be unpleasantly surprised by the amount of the fine and the loss of your licence.
How to pay a parking fine in Georgia
There are several ways to pay a parking fine in Georgia:
- Pay the fine at a terminal. Parking fine payment terminals can be found in most cities in Georgia.
- Pay the fine using a mobile app. There are several mobile apps in Georgia that allow you to pay parking fines.
- Pay your fine through a bank. Parking fines can be paid through any bank in Georgia.
Penalties for which there is not only a fine but also the towing of the vehicle:
- Stopping at places for people with disabilities
- Stopping at taxi, distribution or other special locations
- Stopping to block bins or yard entrances
- Any improper stopping that obstructs the flow of traffic.
Parking fines in Georgia are quite high, so it is important to follow the parking rules. Read the road signs and markings carefully before parking your car.